There’s no denying that public computers are safe haven for various assortments of bugs, malware and viruses. These viruses can inflict more than harm than our wildest imagination. While using a public computer, you’re putting your mails and social media profiles at risk. Your credentials can be stolen the moment you log in to your account.
Over the years, advent of technology has made it quite difficult for us to browse internet on a public computer. While using such computers :
- Avoid saving your login credentials of any website while you’re using a public computer. You need to ensure that you disable auto login features. Despite being in a hurry, you should never close the tab directly, instead you should log off from all the websites accessed by you while using the public computer. Close all the tabs one-by-one.
- While you’re using a public computer, avoid leaving the computer even for a few minutes because there is a possibility that someone can take advantage of it. If there is urgency, then you should close all the tabs and only then leave the computer.
- While you’re using personal computer at a public place, then you need to ensure that no one is around you while you’re entering some sensitive or important data or video. You should never be casual on this aspect because you never know who maybe viewing the information and misuse it in the future.
- You should avoid using public computers or if you’re using then use them only in case of urgency. Remember to delete all the temp files and history after using the computer in order to remove all trace.
- If you’re using a public Wi-Fi, then you have to be extra cautious. In recent times, many cases have come in light where anti-social elements have misused Wi-Fi of innocent and ignorant individuals. Surfing the Internet on secure connections is the best bet. For instance, you should use HTTPS while browsing and enable SSL no matter whichever applications you’re using at that point of time. You should also remember to turn off the Wi-Fi once you have done using it.
- You should avoid using public computers for sharing personal data. For instance, avoid typing your bank pin, as it can be misused. Some public computer owners activate key loggers on their computers, so the moment you enter anything it gets saved in the computer.
There are many negative aspects of using public computers, so try avoiding them as much as possible. Over a period of time, many software programs have come up which can detect every file assessed by you even after you delete the history. Then there are software programs for checking out the files assessed by you. In short, people can know exactly what you did all the while you sat on the computer, so you need to be keep these pointers in mind while using a public computer.
Incoming search terms:
- keeping public computers safe
- tips to remember after using computer
- safety computer using
- safety precautions to ensure while handling computers